About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
I am an obsessive-compulsive college student trying to balance school, family, and life. Most days I do pretty well, but when I don't, it's a world-stopping show of emotions. I live with my recently divorced partner and her two kids, who don't know about our relationship. In general, my life is a mess and most days I don't know up from down, but I'm doing my best to orient myself in the right direction.

The People

Skittles: My partner with whom I live.
Bear: The eldest daughter of Skittles. She is 13.
Tweedle: The youngest daughter of Skittles. She is 8.
Jerkwad: The ex-husband of Skittles.
The Saint: Jerkwad's live-in girlfriend.

Liar: A mistake from my past.

More will be added as need be. If you have questions as to how people gained thier names, just ask.


Thursday, April 16, 2009

Lying

What to do, what to do? What to do with the wonderful, loving, liar that lives in my house.

We have discovered that Tweedle lies. I'm not talking about lying to get out of trouble or fudging the truth to make a story better. No, I'm talking look you in the eyes and out-and-out lie about the dumbest things.

One such example:
I told Tweedle to get ready for bed. We have the same routine every night. Shower, hair, pick up floor, shake (to gain weight), and teeth. For the last few nights, I have suspected that she couldn't possibly have gotten all these things done in the short amount of time it took her to do them. But, her behavior had been improving so I gave her the benefit of the doubt. My mistake. As I was picking up this or that, I picked up her toothbrush out of the bathroom floor (eeww) and noticed that it wasn't wet. The conversation that followed this discovery involved this 8 year-old child looking me dead in the eyes and bold-faced lying to me several times. First, she told me that she dried her toothbrush with a towel, thus it's lack of wetness. Then when confronted with the dryness of the sink, she dried that, too. Finally, I felt the underside of the faucet and lo and behold, it wasn't wet either. She had no response for this. I kid you not, this child lied to me no less than 10 times about brushing her teeth. I don't understand the motivation. She says she lied because she doesn't like to brush her teeth. She doesn't like it so much, that she is willing to live through the battle that ensued?!?

I don't know what to do with her anymore. Her teachers, her mother, and I are all out of solutions. We have taken half of her crap away, grounded her, used other forms of punishment, upped the dose on her medication, and have been remarkably consistent. I think she's getting worse, not better. I don't have anymore ideas. Perhaps, she should go live with her dad for awhile. Maybe, he can crack through her thick head.

No comments:

Post a Comment